At dawn, look to the east. No folks, Gandalf isn’t coming, he comes on the 5th day. I’m talking about the 11th day, of June to be more specific, and closer to noon, not so early in the morning.
So what is coming? I’m sure many of you know, but registration is coming, registration for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon weekend. This year is bigger and better. This year they have added the Enchanted 10k, and combining the two for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Here’s the exact description from the runDisney website http://www.rundisney.com/princess-half-marathon/ :
Saturday, February 22 – Sunday, February 23, 2014
If you think that a half marathon is just a walk in the park, put your endurance to the test and compete in the all-new Glass Slipper Challenge! A 19.3-mile adventure held over two days, participants will run the Disney Enchanted 10K on Saturday, followed by the Disney Princess Half Marathon on Sunday. If you finish both races within the pacing requirements, you will be awarded the all-new Glass Slipper Challenge medal in addition to your Half Marathon and 10K finisher medals.
You must register for the Glass Slipper Challenge to receive the Glass Slipper Challenge medal upon completion of both races within the pacing requirements.
Glass Slipper Challenge will feature
- Two courses through the Walt Disney World Resort totaling 19.3 miles
- Disney Characters and Entertainment on-course
- Family Reunion Area with live entertainment and characters
- Event Weekend Transportation for all Walt Disney World Resort Guests
Race participants in the Glass Slipper Challenge will receive:
- Champion Short-Sleeved Tech Shirts for the Half Marathon, 10K and Glass Slipper Challenge in Women’s or Men’s Cut*
- Special Glass Slipper Challenge Finisher Medal, along with Disney Princess Half Marathon and Disney Princess Enchanted 10K Finisher Medals for completing the Half Marathon and 10K*
- Official Race Program Guide*
- Personalized bib (Must register by December 1, 2013 for name to appear on bib)*
- On-course and post-race refreshments
- ChronoTrack B-tag timed races, with live runner tracking signup for friends and family for both events
- Personalized results website
To receive the Glass Slipper Challenge Finisher Medal, you must register for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Registering for the 10K and Half Marathon individually will not make you eligible to receive the Glass Slipper Challenge Finisher Medal.
I decided many weeks ago, when the Glass Slipper Challenge was announced, that I would be accepting this challenge, and I’m quite excited. But after the announcement, details were lacking, mainly details about the cost. I knew it wasn’t going to be cheap. No race Disney puts on is cheap, but Disney puts on a great show when it comes to their races. In the grand scheme of things, they actually aren’t terribly expensive. These days there are all kinds of fun runs out there. Races like the Color Run, a mere 5k, can cost $50 or more for registration. Break it down by price per mile and Disney looks very comparable. Plus, it’s DISNEY!!
We finally got the details today. For split second, my Disney Visa flinched, but then it held strong, ready to take on this feat.
Disney Princess Half Marathon
- $160 by August 20, 2013
- $175 between August 21 and November 19, 2013
- $190 on or after November 20, 2013
Disney Enchanted 10K
- $95 by August 20, 2013
- $110 between August 21 and November 19, 2013
- $125 on or after November 20, 2013
Glass Slipper Challenge
- $270 by August 20, 2013
- $290 between August 21 and November 19, 2013
- $310 on or after November 20, 2013
Cinderella Royal Family 5K
- $60 per participant
- $15 per Kids Dash participant
- $30 per One Mile Run participant
Pasta in the Park Party Tickets
- $52 for Adults (ages 10 and up)
- $28 for Children (ages 3 – 9)
- Children Under 3 are free
- Bronze – No Charge
- Silver – $39 per package
- Gold – $65 per package
- Platinum – $115 per package
- $120 per participant
Prices have gone up. The cost for the half marathon itself has gone up $20 from last year. Kids races have gone up $5 and the Race Retreat has gone up $20-30 depending on where you look(I have seen some places saying it will be $130, not $120). The economy, inflation, blah blah blah, shut up and take my money.
I’m very much looking forward to these races. I know many people complained this year about the large crowds during PHM. I know of a few people who were turned off by the conditions and have opted out of next year’s festivities. But not me. PHM will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my first half marathon, it was my first Disney race, and I pulled a lot out to finish as decently as I did. Not to mention, I got the thumbs up from my amazing husband to do the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland in January, so I’ll need the PHM to earn my special pink Coast 2 Coast medal. Plus, this year I’ll be teaming up with my mentor Patty, she is the Amy Farrah Fowler to my Sheldon Cooper, so look out for Team Shamy!!
Next year will also be a bit different as this will be a family trip, not a solo princess trip like it was this year. I’m very excited to say that nearly all of the members of my family will be participating in race weekend. Aside from my mother and my youngest child, everyone else will be running in one race or another. My two older children are very excited for the kids races, and I am almost positive I have my husband talked into doing the Enchanted 10k with me. This makes me so happy. Running has really transformed my life, it has become a part of me, and I’m thrilled to share that with my family, and for them to get active.
So June 11 and open registration can’t get here fast enough. This challenge and the new 10k are going to go fast. The newly added 10ks at the DL half and WDW Marathon weekend went super fast, this one should be no different. I’m ready to try on the glass slipper and I will prove that I’m the real princess!